UHMWPE fiber has very excellent biocompatibility, and it has been applied successfully in a variety of biomedical materials, such as the acetabulum of an artificial hip joint, the pad of an artificial knee joint, a tissue scaffold, and a blood pump.
(1) Hip Joint: UHMWPE fiber can be used in acetabulum parts. The fiber offers enough movement space for the rotation and circular motion of metal or ceramic caput femoris in the dips of the acetabulum.
(2) Knee Joint: UHMWPE fiber serves as pad parts, and it bears the weight of the friction between the upper and lower bone.
(3) Tissue Scaffold: The scaffold material, which has a complex shape and porous structure, can be produced by combining UHMWPE extrusion technology and deposition modeling technology, which is controlled by computers.
(4) Blood Pump: UHMWPE fiber has no biotoxicity, and it can be used long-term as blood pump material.
(5) Composite Resin: The material is a new oral repair material featuring low density, high strength, high modulus, corrosion resistance, and more. It consists of fiber and resin. Commonly used fibers are carbon fiber, aramid fiber, glass fiber, and polyethylene fiber. At present, the applications for carbon fiber and aramid fiber are limited due to their unsightly color. Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene fiber’s biocompatibility and durability are good. Moreover, it is highly stable and will not cause an allergic reaction, and it has been used for clinical and other medical applications.